Sunday, November 13, 2005

chapter 1

First attempts at multiple exposures:



For the first image I took the same image 9 times, slightly moved each time, then merged in normal at decreasing percentages. After merging I added another layer of the original picture, blurred using strong gaussian, and blended in soft light at about 30%.

For the second image, I took two different shots and blended in a variety of modes. One of the shots is a closeup of a leaf, the other is a blurred (vertical camera motion) of some aspens.

--------------------------

NOTES:

What I found most interesting about Chapter 1 is the notion that for this kind of multiple exposures it works best to have the individual frames be quite in focus. It makes a lot of sense. The stacking of sharp, in focus lines and shapes would create a dreamlike effect quite different than the effect created with longer exposures/camera movement.

5 Comments:

At 5:15 PM PST, Blogger Neil said...

The second one works very well here. I am less sure that the first is better than attempts using single frame motion blur as an alternative technique. Perhaps what doesn't come out of that is the same "multiple pattern" I see in the book.

I shot some tests today, but I am out of disk space, so I haven't been able to process yet!

 
At 7:22 PM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

Weirdly enough, I prefer the first one over the second :) The only comment I'd make about the first one is to watch for the bright highlights in the background - I find my eye drawn to those out of focus high contrast areas, and I think I'd prefer to be spending my time looking at the leaf.

 
At 7:38 PM PST, Blogger ursula said...

Thanks!

The bright, OOF areas are strange - on a photo by itself they serve to give a glow or highlight to the leaves; in the multiple exposure they become annoying.

I suppose that goes again to emphasize that it's best to stick to one thing at a time. If you're working on multiple exposure, don't also work on OOF highlights. Maybe. Something to think about.

 
At 8:51 PM PST, Blogger John M. Setzler, Jr. said...

I particularly like the first one. I can't really comment on it as pertains to the book because I'm without it for a few days until it arrives, but I love the surrealism and impressionism presented in the image. It creates a mood that is somewhat like the change of seasons... there is a transition going on and the idea behind the photo supports that quite well...

 
At 12:20 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just stumbled on the thread in dpc, so I don't really know much about FP's ideas, but I have to say that you have created some wonderful pictures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home