Sunday, November 13, 2005

a couple more experiments ....



Both are combinations of three different images, both were each subsequent image was shot a bit closer to the subject as before (using fixed lens, so no zooming).

For the pears I used a black background, then combined the three pear pictures in three layers at about 40% in normal mode with that background. The result was rather dark. I lightened, added another layer, and blended in soft light (forgot the percentage).

For the tree in the rain, blended using the decreasing formula (100/50/33/and so on). I used 6 layers, 2 of each picture, background was the original at 100, second layer the original in soft light at 50, third the second picture in normal at 50, fourth the second picture in soft light at 33, and so on (more or less, again, I didn't write down the numbers exactly, and I'm never particularily exact when it comes to post-processing).

4 Comments:

At 9:07 PM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

I don't think it really matters too much if you capture the exact percentages you use :) The key is just to play until it looks good, and then stop!

Something else that may address your issue with the background layer being too dominant is to use the hard light blend mode on one element, if the overall image isn't contrasty enough.

 
At 9:10 PM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

I forgot to mention - the tree image is truely beautiful. Lovely light, colours and overall autumnal feel.

The pear image I think has a whole lot of potential too - but I think it maybe needs a few more layers - it looks a bit too real but with motion blur - the gap between the edges seems a bit severe ?

 
At 12:58 PM PST, Blogger ursula said...

Yeah, I think you're right. More pear pictures. Maybe a different subject, I ate the pears.

 
At 2:09 PM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

Well - an opportunity to buy some more then :) Never can have enough fruit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home